Friday, June 29, 2012

Sewing frustrations: The red collar

     I must say that I really enjoy sewing, but sometimes it just makes me wanna start throwing stuff (sewing machine included) out the window!  I think this is something very common in any hobby.   That's why I have decided that every once in a while I'll dedicate a post to my sewing frustrations.  It should be fun, I think.
     This post will be about a red collar. It all started when my cousin taught me how to sew a basic collar. She showed me and helped me sew a really nice and different blouse, which included a collar (of course!).  I was really proud with the end product.  And this motivated me to sew another blouse similar to the one I made with her.  But this time I was alone.  This is the story of my first solo collar ...
     I started by cutting the pattern.  I didn't have any problem threading the machine. Everything was running smoothly.
     While constructing the collar I encountered my first problem.  The length of the facing was a bit off , but when I tried it on, it didn't seem like such a big deal. Since I was not going to sell the garment, I decided to leave it like that.  I was happy!
     And then it happened!  I cut the tip of the collar!  I was so mad that I decided to cut the garnment in half.   I know what you're thinking:  "but it had a solution!" "you could have done something to the tip!" you could have been creative!"  Yes, I could have, but the frustration blinded me.  

     There's only one thing that I liked from this experience. I found out that a short "bolero" with a collar looks really cute! If only I would have cut it better, it would have look something like this bolero from Project Runway. Right?

SOURCE
Frustraciones de costura: el cuello rojo
     Me encanta coser, sin embargo hay veces que lo que quiero es dejarlo todo y salir corriendo, o empezar a tirar cosas por la ventana (incluyendo mi máquina de coser). Y este sentimiento es muy común. Es por eso que he decidido dedicarle unos cuantos 'posts' a mis frustraciones de costura.
     Empiezo por el cuello rojo, mi primer cuello que hago sin ayuda.  Todo empezó cuando mi prima me enseño a coser un cuello básico, e hicimos una blusa muy linda. Me sentía orgullosa.  Esto me motivó a hacer otra blusa similar, con cuello, pero esta vez sin ayuda.
    Todo empezó muy bien. No tuve problemas enhebrando la máquina de coser. Tampoco tuve problemas cortando el patrón.
    Mientras hacía el cuello, encontré mi primer problema,  el 'facing' estaba un poco más largo de lo que debía. Me lo medí, y como no parecía ser gran cosa, y tampoco iba a vender la pieza, decidí dejarlo así. ¡Estaba feliz!
     ¡Luego sucedió! Le corté la punta al cuello.  Estaba tan molesta que decidí cortar la blusa por la mitad, sin importar nada.  Sé que ese accidente tenía solución, pero la frustración me cegó.
     Si hubo algo bueno de todo esto, fue que descubrí que un bolerito con cuello se ve muy bien! Si tan sólo hubiese cortado bien la prenda, quizá se hubiese parecido al bolerito de Project Runway (última fotografía).

No comments:

Post a Comment